Saturday, April 28, 2012

Gillian's Book Trailer and Life

Gillian's book trailer is coming out soon. May 1st in fact! It was very fun to make, and I think Adam (my brother) did an amazing job at putting it together. I will post the video here as soon as I am able to do so. Go check out the Director's post about it by clicking here.

On another note, there hasn't been much going on here. I have been steadily doing school, one day at a time. I'm looking forward to being finished, but I will have to wait a bit longer as I will be doing school through the summer. As it turns out working for you family has it's drawbacks. :) As most of you know, I worked for Tyler (my other brother) as his office manager for 5 months or so. Now I am occasionally subbing for teachers when he needs me, and I teach a homeschool tumbling class on Friday mornings.

I love it.

I have allot of personal goals for after graduation, but I will not bore you with them now. I can tell you that I will be staying under my fathers roof, and training to serve the Lord in marriage or single womanhood, wherever he may take me.

I will not be going to college, even though that's where most of my friends are already. I believe that one of the most important things that a Christan young person can do is honor his parents. I love my friends, but some of them seem to think that I condemn them for going to college. And that's not it at all! If their parents want them to pursue a college education, and that's what they're doing, I think that's a wonderful and Godly thing to do.

A few of the reasons why I'm not going to college:

Our family has a strong belief against going into debt.

If I need to learn about something, I'm all for taking a class or learning hands on from a person who is in that particular Field.

The church that we are a part of is greatly lacking in young woman who are not in school and have no marital obligations (there is only one other girl, and she is currently involved in a courtship). There is so much work to do ladies! The church needs our help. The bible gives us clear instructions that we are to learn and listen from women with more wisdom then us. How are we to do that when we are not around?

Who will help the new mother with a toddler that she no longer has hands for?
Who will watch the children when a husband and wife need to go on a date?
Who will be an example for the younger girls to not be silly and boy crazy?
Who will help teach the little ones to be still and listen?
Who will visit the elderly people, and bring food when they can no longer make it themselves?

Who will do all of this for free, just for the Kingdom of God?

Also when I am at home I have so much more time for hospitality.

Let me elaborate on that last point. If I were in college, I couldn't have a outreach to college students. I would be busy taking courses, and probably going to a church outreach for students. Instead, I can be the outreach! What a blessing!



Let me leave you with a quote from someone that I met last year.

"When blessed with a strong and close-knit support system, it is easy for us who were home educated to become arrogant and over-confident in our own abilities and accomplishments, like a big fish in a little pond. Then, after we get out of that little pond and start seeing truly big fish, we tend to fall into second guessing our own and our parents choices when we encounter obstacles on our less-traveled road. We can never let the world, or even our peers in the church, be the standard against which we measure ourselves or our work, but always look to Christ. It requires close examination of what you believe and why, prayerful and honest evaluation of your walk with the Lord. and habitually testing all things, every day, against God's word."

~ Ian Lamont

Click his name if you would like to read the entire interview. I would recommend it. It is very profound. Here is his website, Slickepott.com.


In Him,
~ Amy K Terrell

P.S. I understand that this is the longest post for quite a while. Thank you for getting to the end.



 Colossians 3:14
"Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity."




4 comments:

  1. Great thoughts! I especially appreciated this: "I can tell you that I will be staying under my fathers roof, and training to serve the Lord in marriage or single womanhood, wherever he may take me."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go girl! I'm getting so many questions as to why I'm not going away (or rather staying here) for college. Your points are right on!

    ReplyDelete