Friday, July 3, 2009

Here at the Family Reunion!

I am in Winnsboro Texas, (way east) and we are staying at the Hubble House! It is so cool! I love antique things and this place is full of them!

Have you ever heard of Ima Hog? Her grandparents used to own this house and she spent allot of her child hood here. Her father was a Governor of Texas and his name was Jim Hogg. Ima had two brothers, but since they did not have such unusual names, they are not as famous. Contrary to urban legend, there was not a Youra Hogg in the family.


This is Jim Hogg, Ima's Father.


Here is a picture of her, and as you can see she did not look remotely like a pig.

The Hubbell house had had several name through the years, and has been converted to a bed and breakfast. George Bush stayed here when he was still Governor of Texas. The Hubbell house was built in... I can't really remember, but it's really old. Here is an exerp from the website. I encourage you to visit it and read up on the entire history.

"The property upon which Thee Hubbell House Estate is located was once part of a land grant of several thousand acres which was made in 1835 by General Sam Houston, commander in Chief of the Territory of Texas. By 1871, General Robert E. Lee’s cousin, B.W. Lee, bought fifty acres of this land for $500 in gold. From the era of 1875, there presently exists a historical hay barn that was later turned into The Carriage House for servant’s quarters and for horses and carriages.

In 1888, J.M. Lankford, an early Winnsboro merchant, built a story and a half mansion on a two acre plot. In 1906, Colonel J.A. Stinson purchased the estate and reconstructed the home using a Georgian Colonial style.

He came to Texas from the State of Georgia during the latter part of the civil war after he had lost his Georgian plantation by fire. He bought a 3,000-acre working plantation that had a sawmill and gristmill. This acreage is located just South of Winnsboro where he built a Prairie Plantation home. That home has been preserved and is now on the grounds of the Hogg State Shrine near Winnsboro.

Colonel Stinson’s oldest daughter, Sally, married Governor James Hogg, who was Texas’ first native-born Governor. They gave birth to three sons and a daughter who went on to become the famous philanthropist Ima Hogg. She never married and lived to be 92 years before she died on a vacation in England while attending the opera.

Ms Ima Hogg was a frequent visitor to her grandfather’s Winnsboro estate and what is now The Little Hogg House, on the property, was initially built by Colonel Stinson as a playroom for his children and was later also used by his grandchildren."


Taken from http://www.theehubbellhouse.com/history.htm


These are the people who are here at the moment. (I am going to try to write all the people down just for fun.)

Grams and Grandpa
My dad and mom
Uncle Russel and Aunt Amy (we are both Amy Terrell's, I know, it's though)
Uncle Steve and His buddy Neal (don't know what his last name is)
Me Tyler and Adam
My cousins (Uncle Russel's kids) Allison Elijah and Lee.

A few other people are going to be here tomorrow. My Uncle Mike is going to let me borrow his camera for I don't know how long. AAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! I can't wait! I don't know what kind it is though. I do know that it's going to be awesome! My camera has been acting up and now I get to use one that is a thousand times better!!!! Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not exited though...

Have a great Forth of July!!! GO AMERICA!!!


~Amy K

P.S. I will take lots of pictures tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. "...Lots of pics..." is definitely an understatement! LOL!!! Tyler and I broke 1000! Oh and I told you that it was his big camera! I had fun and I am sad that it is over...Waaa! It is always a let down to come home from a trip. Love you!

    ReplyDelete