Thursday, February 12, 2009

Gentlemen!!!


In this age of feminism and "equality" men are confused. They don't even know who should pick up the check any more. I was reading a magazine the other day and there was an article that started, "It is degrading when a man opens a door for me. I can handle it my self, thank you very much." Wow. I don't know about you but I think that opening doors for ladies is was every man should practice.

1 Peter 3:7
7Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.

The bible does not say that we are weak, but "weaker." I believe that women are physically weaker then men most of the time. I will admit that I've seen some puny guys in my day. And I have also seen some girls that could beat up my older brother. I think that not only is this talking about physical strength, but emotional. We need to be held, to be loved, and to be protected. Girls want boyfriends because of those things. They might not realize it at the time, but that's the reason. They want someone to need them. They want the emotional and physical closeness that should only come with marriage. This is partly because they don't have a good relationship with their fathers. And the fathers aren't doing a good job at making the daughters feel stable and loved. They don't show their daughters how a gentlemen should act around young ladies. I'm not saying that you should treat your father as you would treat your boyfriend. But that he could be that man in your life, as it should be before marriage.

Another thing that I would like to address is dating in the church. Dating is not a good or safe thing to do in my reasoning, because you get that emotional closeness with someone that you are not even thinking of a long term relation ship with. And by long term I mean forever. The Bible says that we should treat each other like brothers and sisters in Christ. Have you ever seen brothers and sisters chasing each other around trying to date one another? That would be disturbing.

By the time a girl is at the age that she is looking for marriage, she has been hurt and dumped and defrauded so many times that her heart is not pure or whole anymore. She has given something precious to a lot of boys that didn't know what they had, or what they were doing. That girl is also still in the mind set of dating. And today, marriage is almost the same as dating, but with benefits. You can get out of a marriage almost as easily as you got in it.

Marriage is a holy picture of Christ and the Church. Christ is the man, and the Church is the woman. The Church is dependant of Christ. The Church needs Christ. And someday Christ will come to take the Church away with him. It almost sounds like a fairytale doesn't it? Its not as glamorous as it sounds but that's what Holy matrimony is based on, and why it sacred. That's why messing with that picture by messing with marriage is so terribly wrong. Its not two Churches and two Christs. And so it is not two men and two women.

I just felt like sharing that. Wow, I started with writing about being a gentlemen, but I guess its my blog and I can switch if I want to. :) Any ways, I know lots of guys that are sweet and are gentlemen to any girl that they meet. Not because they think that we can't open the door by our selves, but because they are trying to honor us and make us feel like we mean something. That we are not something to be taken lightly.

I was in San Antonio a while back and we were with the Moore family. They have four boys and every time there was a door to be opened, one of them would hold in for all the ladies. Their ages are 20, 17, 15, and 11. Reagen is between the last boy. But all of them were such gentlemen that I absolutely loved being around their whole family. They did it cheerfully and willingly. Because my brothers do not practice this act of kindness, I am constantly caught off guard by it when others do.


It's a nice thing to try to get used to!

3 comments:

  1. AMEN!!! I agree whole heartedly. In fact I am going to write something similar on my blog if you don't mind. I think this is a big issue that guys need to know about and not take lightly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No not at all! Id love for you to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started mine but it is not up yet.

    ReplyDelete