Thursday, February 19, 2009

Make-up and Christianity

Savannah and I were playing with makeup on the 14th. It was fun, but it got me thinking. After we were finished, we looked like the people that hang around outside the mall smoking. It was fun for a little while, but when I took it off it reminded me of what Christ did for us. It's like the gospel beads that we did as little kids.
Black- is sin in your life
Red- is Christ’s blood that he shed for you
White- represents you being washed clean from your sins (forgiveness ,purity)
Green- is for growth in the faith
Gold- is for heaven

You know the people that you have seen, either on TV or on the streets, that look like they have the worst life in the world. Their eyes are empty and dark. Why would they want to look like they have been smoking Marijuana?

No, I don't go around staring at people with dark make up and thinking that I'm better than they are, and that they are in sin because of that. I really don't have a moral problem with dark make up. It's just that I think having a relatively clean-looking face reflects our hearts.

Yes, there are some people out there who don't like to wear that much make up. I'm not saying that everyone who wears make up is not a Christian. I'm saying that it is our obligation as girls to try to look like young ladies who represent Christ. I asked my dad what he thought about girls my age who wear heavy makeup, and he said "I always wonder what she is trying to prove." He went on to say, "It makes me think she's trying to be someone who she's not." I also asked my brother what he thought about this and he said, "Uh...I don't know. I guess I wouldn't like it." I asked him again, "Why would you not like it?" He answered, "I don't think it looks nice."
And there you have it, folks. The opinion of an 18 year old boy, (my brother) on makeup. I encourage anyone who reads this to tell me your thoughts. I'm always listening.

1 Peter 3:3-4
3 Do not let your adornment be merely outward—arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel— 4 rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment