Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Books, books, and more books...

I love to read! I used to hate to read because I wasn't good at it, but now I'm good at reading and I love it! It was a vicious cycle. I didn't read because I was slow, and I was slow because I didn't practice reading. I read so much during the summer, more than I have ever read before. Here is a list that I read throughout the summer:

"The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde"
By Robert Louis Stevenson

"Robinson Crusoe"
By Daniel Defoe

"The Time Machine"
By H.G. Wells

"King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table"
By Howard Pyle

"The Three Musketeers"
By Alexandre Dumas

"The Secret Garden"
By Frances Hodgson Burnett

"Treasure Island"
By Robert Louis Stevenson

"The Door in the Wall" (not "A Wind in the Door," very different)
By Marguerite de Angeli

The "Anne" Series (of which I am still wonderfully involved in)
by L. M. Montgomery

"Anne of Green Gables"

"Anne of Avonlea"

"Anne of the Island"

"Anne of Windy Poplars"

"Anne's House of Dreams"

"Anne of Ingleside"

And I am in the process of reading "Rainbow Valley"


Most of these books I had either heard the gist of the story before, or listened to the audio tape of it, but never read the book. I had such a great time traveling to lands Far, far away.

"The Three Musketeers" I must say was disappointing. It was all about women and it didn't matter if they were married or not.. And I was not as familiar with "King Aurthur and the Knights of the Round Table" as I thought I was. I was so discouraged when Sir Lancelot and Queen Guinevere were banished for being caught in the same room together (the queen was banished to a convent to be a nun for the rest of her life. Then Lancelot was forgiven after years, but the queen was never to return to King Aurthur. I thought it was very unjust and it has bothered me. The way that I would have done it was have them both forgiven, but, alas, I am not Howard Pyle. I loved the part about Excalibur. That was so exiting and it gave me a queer chill down my spine when I read about it. Its such an exiting adventure story.

I am in the process of writing an adventure novel in a year. It's part of my school. It is going to be set in the Wild West.

No comments:

Post a Comment